PS About shop portfolio

2.29.2012

Girl Talk // The Thrifter


I'd like to introduce you to Amy Morby, the lovely writer of A is for Ampersand; I'm so happy she's here to join us! Amy just finished up a lovely month of Self - Love on her blog that I simply loved, and in case you missed it, she did a little wrap up here. Amy also currently works for Blowfish, who we all know has just lovely shoes, which if you didn't know that, then you need to hop on over and take a look (AFTER you read this ^_^) Now, enjoy!

What is your job title?
I am a former graphic designer, a freelance writer, blogger, full-time cat lady, music connoisseur, and voracious thrifter. I work from home for Blowfish and do all kinds of other freelance on the side.


What do you love about yourself?
I went through a long period of hating myself and the way I looked, but once I got over it, I learned to not care what anyone else thought. I started wearing crazy thrifted dresses because I and only I liked them, and that's all that mattered to me. I started wearing a lot of thrifted sweaters that most people gawked at and crazy vintage gold shoes that made my coworkers question my sanity. But none of it matters because it's all about loving yourself and rolling with it.

I love that I went through that journey of self-hate so I could end up in a lifelong journey of self love. I think that the most important thing a woman can do for herself is find her own self love. If you are 100% you, the rest falls into place.


Who is your role model?
My heart completely belongs to Tina Fey. She is extremely witty, wildly hilarious, and basically just my favorite human being on the planet. Maybe you guys are expecting a deeper answer than that, but I feel like Tina embodies everything I ever wanted to be, which is mostly just a writer for McSweeneys or The Onion. :) But seriously, though--she completely took over a mostly male-dominated business and made it rain. I love her.

What Inspires You?
Music is my only true love. I start every day of my life with music, I work all 8 hours of my day with music, and I usually end the day falling asleep to music. I am a hardcore vinyl enthusiast and can always be found with headphones on. The bands that mostly inspire me lately? Here We Go Magic, Radiohead, Tame Impala, Deerhunter. They are all the loves of my life.

I also find a whirlwind of inspiration from thrifting. Obviously thrifting sparks my wild style side, but thrifting also inspires my deign style. I know--very strange. But the vintage patterns and vibes I find thrifting always give me ideas for my designs. Plus, I find thrifting quite therapeutic, which is always inspiring. There's nothing like the high that comes from a fantastic thrift find, you know? So whenever that happens, I always try to channel it back into my work.

What are 5 words that describe you?
Introverted, quirky, musical, opinionated, stubborn

What is your biggest insecurity?
Like most women, I have about a bajillion insecurities. It's so easy to get caught up in society's definition of what it means to be a woman. If I had to choose one, it would be my shy personality. I've always greatly admired women who have an air of confidence, and I wish I could channel that in myself. But, I do think all of us women owe it to ourselves to fight these insecurities on a daily basis and redefine what it means to be a strong, confident woman.


If you could be anyone for a day, who would it be?
Defintely Jenny Lewis. I mean, come on. Look at that red hair! And her style! I've idolized Jenny Lewis since I was 14. I'll never get over my massive girl crush on her.

Thanks so much for sharing with us Amy! Everything was just so nicely said; I love hearing from such genuine girls like yourself! 

If y'all would like to visit with Amy a bit more, you can hop on over to her blog or read up on some of her tweets! Have a lovely afternoon!


xo.
Melisa

2 comments:

  1. ok this girl has serious style! she's quirky yet pretty polished. love it~

    xo the egg out west.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um, this woman may just be my new idol. Her words and genius and honest, and exactly what I needed.

    ReplyDelete